Good to Know
FACTS ABOUT SAFETY GLASSES
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY STANDARDS FOR SAFETY GLASSES
Safety glasses are Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and are therefore certified according to the PPE Directive 2016/425. The requirements for safety glasses are clearly defined by the occupational safety standard EN 166. In addition, EN 170 describes the specifications for UV protection of occupational safety glasses.
- filter protection level of the lens, e.g. 2 = UV protection according to EN 170.
- identification of the manufacturer of the safety glasses
- optical class (purity of the lens), 1 = highest level
- mechanical strength, e.g. FT = protection against high velocity particles at extreme temperatures
- scratch resistance, K = resistance to mechanical impact
- fogging resistance, N = resistance to fogging
- number of the EN standard